S is for Scrabble

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Scrabble is my big internet addiction. If I only had 5 minutes of internet access per day, I would probably spend it playing online scrabble. Luckily, I have around 10 or 11 hours of internet access per day, so I can play as much as I want.

I play Scrabble, Lexulous and Words With Friends almost compulsively. I know all sorts of words that non-scrabble players have never even heard of, including 6 different words that use the letter Q without using the letter U. What can I say - I'm a scrabble nerd.

I've never really played scrabble a lot as a regular board game, but I used to do a lot of crosswords, and I've always been a big reader, which I think has given me a good word base to start from. It's only been with the introduction of Facebook and the iPod touch into my life that I've found myself playing scrabble all the time.

I prefer to play against friends and family rather than random strangers. Games like Scrabble seem to be more fun when you play against someone you know, but also, when it comes to online scrabble, I find that only playing against people I know limits the amount of time I actually spend playing the game - otherwise there is no way that I would ever get any work done.


What with playing Scrabble so often, sometimes I feel the need to mix things up a bit. So my sister and I will occasionally play what we call 'dirty word scrabble'. We'll turn off all of the settings that stop you playing words that aren't real, and then we play as usual with one exception - any word we play must be dirty, a swear word or have some kind of dirty connotation. Spelling is secondary to conveying the word, so you can be as creative as you like. It definitely makes for interesting play and a lot of laughs.

If it weren't for online games, I guess I wouldn't have this same obsession with scrabble, but with so many different options for play and my innate general nerdiness, I guess my Scrabble addiction was completely inevitable. Oh well - I guess there are worse things that I could be addicted to online.


This entry is part of my ‘A-Z of Me’ Series. 26 Days of alphabetically ordered random crap about me and my life. You can read the rest here.

1 comments:

said...

Same here. I used to only play scrabble with my Grandma, once every few years.

I enjoy playing online much more because there's no pressure due to time constraints. It also helps to play with someone half a world away, when they're bored at work and I'm bored after dinner.

Post a Comment