H is for Happiness

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

H is for happiness, and in particular all the tiny little everyday things that make me smile. So here are some of them (in no particular order).


Slipping into bed at night when the sheets are freshly washed. It’s the most comfortable place in the world.

Dancing in stiletto heels. It makes my posture better, I feel more attractive and my body moves in ways it otherwise couldn’t. It puts a smile on my face every time.

When a random person favourites a photo of mine on Flickr. I mostly only post stuff for the people I know to see, but it’s still kind of nice when a stranger likes one of my photos enough to make it a favourite.

Rearranging my scrabble tiles and then realising that I can make a bingo AND that there’s somewhere on the board to play it. I play a lot of scrabble against a lot of people, although I only have two opponents who are a real challenge to beat, and it always makes me smile when I can play a bingo against them. Against the others it just seems kind of mean.

Drinking an ice cold beer with Indian food. My beer of choice is Crown Lager; my Indian food of choice is dahl gosht (lamb & lentils). The colder the beer, the better.

Driving fast along sweeping roads with the music playing loud. It’s relaxing, especially if I sing loudly and if the sun is shining warmly but the air is still cool.

Family dinners. We have a big family dinner at least once a month, and the idea of seeing everyone makes me smile because they're not the kind of family that makes you cringe.

Getting unexpected snail mail that isn't a bill. It's nice to know that there are still people who use the postal system for something other than demanding money or sending you stuff you bought online.

Laughing at something that isn't that funny, then finding that you can't stop. It happens a lot when I'm having dinner with my family-in-law and someone comes out with an unintentional double entendre. As a result I'm pretty sure they all think I'm a psychopathic pervert or that I have frequent small seizures that they're too polite to mention. That just makes me laugh more. They say a LOT of dirty things without meaning to.

Getting messages from my Nanna on my answering machine where she doesn't realise she hasn't hung up the phone properly and then bitches about how she hates answering machines. Guaranteed to happen at least once a month.


I guess I could keep going on forever about the little things, but I'll leave it at that. I think if I didn't have all those little things, I would probably be pretty miserable. A few big happy things in life could never compare to the happiness that the little things bring.


This entry is part of my ‘A-Z of Me’ Series. 26 Days of alphabetically ordered random crap about me and my life. You can read the rest here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment