Something for the Eyes and Ears

Thursday, July 02, 2009

I was going to start this post with the sentence “I’m starting to get really desperate for new things to read and new music to listen to” but I thought it didn’t sound too great announcing my increasing desperation in my first sentence. Having said that, I can now say that I’m starting to get really desperate for new things to read and new music to listen to.

I subscribe to about 60 or so blogs that I read regularly. In my brief hiatus from stalking the internet while I was busy slaving over my wedding, it appears that about 50 of those 60 have either stopped blogging or are now blogging infrequently. This leaves me with a lot less reading material than I like.

I miss working in the city where I was only 60 seconds walk from the nearest second-hand book store. They were big stores too, with a lot of variety. The suburb where I live now is technically defined as a ‘rural’ area, so stores like that are a little hard to come by. We have 2 op-shops, but they’re pretty much useless unless you want to read Mills & Boon novels.

I need something to read!! Any and all book suggestions would be welcomed (excluding Mills & Boon novels of course).


On the music front – I lost all of the music on my iPod when it did something weird and had to be reset. I’m terrible with song and artist names, which means I’m spending a lot of time saying things like “you remember that song where the guy sings about the girl, only she’s not a girl and it’s kind of old and has something to do with coke, but not actually coke coz they changed it at the last minute to something else so they wouldn’t get in trouble from coca cola or whatever?”

I’ve decided that rather than rebuilding the same collection of songs on my ipod, I’m going to find some new music. Well, new to me anyway. I’m not sure where to start with this new music search, but as with the books, any and all suggestions are welcomed. I found this site which will suggest bands similar to whatever name I type in, so I guess I’ll start there.

I might stop my rant here, because I can sense already how dull this post is and I think it’s best kept to a minimum number of words. I might have to post again later when my brain can muster up something slightly more interesting – it’s been a very dull week.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I've been obsessing over the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. I also really liked the book Garden Spells. What kind of books do you like? I mostly read fantasy so don't know a lot of mainstream books. For crime thrillers, I really like Micheal Connelly right now. Jeffery Deaver is also good.

I love Juliet Marriler, an Australian author. She writes romantic fantasy, if that's your cup of tea.

Can't help with the music. All I know is Wiggles and Laurie Berkner and I don't think you fit the demographic for either.

torrygirl said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I like pretty much any kind of book except for full-on romance novels, and even those I'll read if I can't find anything else.

I checked out some previews of the books you suggested on Amazon and think I might get them. Thanks again!

said...

Check out this site:

http://www.music-map.com/

It's kinda similar to the link in your post. You type in a name of a band and it will tell you what other people who like that band listen to also.

torrygirl said...

Thanks for the link, that's pretty cool!It's given me quite a few new bands to check out.

Post a Comment