The Over-Exaggerator

Monday, July 06, 2009

I have a friend who over-exaggerates. She’s always been a bit of a drama queen, but it was ok, because it tended to take your mind off your own problems. Trouble is, now it’s getting out of hand, and we’ve let it slide for so long that it’s hard to tell her that she’s become totally unbelievable.


I had another friend who did the exact same thing, and it pretty much ended our friendship. You can’t go on talking to a person like that, because it’s hard to base a friendship on fairytales.

I think the downfall of that particular relationship was the phone call I received from her one evening. She seemed upset and I finally got it out of her that she thought she might be pregnant. I asked her if she had taken a test to be sure, and she then proceeded to tell me that she had been to the doctors, where the physician had prodded around on her stomach and told her that he was 99% sure that there was a dead baby in there!

That’s right, you read it correctly. Apparently this doctor poked her in the guts once or twice and told her, despite the fact that he hadn’t done any tests, despite the fact that she would only have been 2 months pregnant, despite the fact that the 2 month old foetus would only be the size of a peanut, that he could feel a dead baby in her stomach.

Slightly implausible wouldn’t you say?

She told the same story to my best friend the same day, and then we never heard anything about it again. She avoided the topic after that and I think she realised that her story was a little over the top because when we questioned her about it a little later on, she mumbled something about the doctor being wrong and then changed the subject pretty quickly.


I’m a little concerned that this other friend is going to end up going the same way. Well, not specifically the bizarre pregnancy way, but more that she is going to become so caught up in her exaggeration that she is going to become someone I don’t want to be around.
But how do you slip that into general conversation without upsetting someone?
“Hey I think everything you’ve just said is a BIG FAT LIE” probably won’t go down so well...

0 comments:

Post a Comment