An oldie but a goodie

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Saturday night was the dreaded Hen’s night. I managed to sneak out early, using the excuse of driving home my pregnant sister-in-law, but unfortunately not early enough to avoid the stripper. I have to say that as far as strippers go he was quite tasteful. Ish. I’m not sure tasteful is a word that you can really use when it comes to a stripper, but I can’t think of anything more appropriate.

He was dressed as a cop and I have to give him credit because he was actually a reasonably good dancer. The lewd gyrating was kept to a minimum, but I’m not sure that that was because of tasteful dancing, or the inability of his hips to cope with the movements. Which brings me to my point for this blog post – at what age do you become too old to be a stripper?

Now I’m not suggesting that he was old, because he wasn’t. But given that the primary job of a stripper of this sort is to perform at hen’s nights, there comes an age where you will realise that you’re stripping in front of people who could, given an unfortunate virginity losing mishap back in your young and wild days, be your daughter. Or at least, your daughter’s slightly older friends.

The point I’m making here is that the stripper seemed a bit too old for the crowd he was performing in front of. At a guess I would say he was pushing 40. Now to me that’s not a huge age difference, but add a few more years difference for the bride and her friends who are quite a bit younger and it’s a pretty fair sort of age gap!

There must be an age that you reach when you start to realise that you’re closer to the age of the mother of the bride than to the bride herself. Wouldn’t that make it a little awkward? Or is that awkwardness overridden by the total awkwardness of getting nude in front of a room full of strangers?

Either way, the stripper wasn’t as bad as I imagined, but this could be mostly attributed to the fact that he respected my baby oil free perimeter and kept well clear.

I think the most appropriate description of the stripper is the one my grandma often uses about a favourite song – he was an oldie but a goodie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment